Friday, October 12, 2007

What's your Name?

We had a slow day at work, so I was first assigned to be the hospital's NST, where I basically ran errands for any of the units. Boy, you sure do a lot of walking! I was miffed at being a NST, at first, as I asked myself what in the heck am I suppose to do, and where am going to find things, if I'm asked? But, as many times it turns out, I learned my way around the hospital, a little bit better, and actually had fun doing it, and meeting other employees on different units. Then, just as I was getting used to this new role, I was asked to sit with an elderly patient, who was, at times, confused, so the nurses could do other tasks, and not worry about her getting hurt, or pulling out tubes. When I arrived, her primary doctor was just leaving her room, and then her nurse came in and informed her that her NG tube could be removed. She seemed pleased with that, and handled the removal well. I introduced myself, and told her she could now have some liquids for supper. Soon after, another doctor came in and talked to her about her tests. It sounded like good news, and she told the doctor just that. Then, she turned to me, asked me what my name was, and wondered if I lived in the apartment down the hall. I told her she was in the hospital, and had been very sick. She smiled, and said she remembered. But now she had wasted her day away sleeping, and she needed to get up and get dressed. I told her again, she was in the hospital, and the nurses wanted her to rest in bed. She was having no part of that. So, I asked her to wait while I got some help getting her up. Of course, she didn't need help getting up, but with a little conjoling, she agreed to wait for assistance. We then proceeded to get up, walk out to the hallway with the use of a walker, and come back, and sit in the chair for awhile. We talked about our families, and found her to be a very pleasant person. She later decided she had enough of being up, and so I helped her back to bed. Again, she asked me what my name was, and even suggested I write it down for her, and also, the nurse's name. She thanked me for visiting her, and helping her with her juice. She thought this apartment was very nice. Did I live in the same apartment? When did I move in? I shared this night with my co-workers. One of them said, "I wonder what we'll be like when we get to be 88?" I reflected on that, as I thought back to that morning at home. I was suppose to go out for coffee at Cariboo's with some of my "retired" nurses, and they were meeting @ 9:30. I wrote the date and time on the calendar, so I wouldn't forget. Guess what! I forgot, and got a call from one of them asking me if I was coming. Is short-term memory that short term? Now I have to remember to look at the calendar each day to see what's going on. Hmmm, maybe that move to the apartment down the hall isn't that far off? Now, what room was that?

4 comments:

The Spirit said...

I'll move into that apartment with you...what's your name again?

Lorrie said...

That was hilarious as I do the same thing all the time!! Like mother like daughter, I guess....I'll be in the room next to you (:

Julie B said...

memory? what is that? I think I have lost both short and long term these days...:)

Chris said...

With the birth of each child, I lost a large chunk of my memory. Nowadays, if it aint on the calendar...it aint happenin'! The turn of each calendar month puts me in pure panick 'cause I have a clear caledar page, and am positive I'll miss something that first week.

It looks like the Le Bon family will be taking up all the rooms at that apartment building.