Monday, February 25, 2008

Changes

Last week started with the news of my daughter, Chris, and her family making the difficult decision to move to Colorado. Difficult, in that it means leaving behind close family, and friends, that they grew up with, played with, worked with, shared their lives with, and embracing a new life in the west, new job, new friends, new house, new scenery, new challenges. It makes everyone sad. No one likes change, but it constantly is happening to each of us. My heart aches for each of them as they deal with many emotions, and thoughts, but with help from all of us, and their friends, visiting, I know it will turn out good for them all.

After weeks of cold, deep freeze, Brrrrr weather, there was finally a break last weekend with temps in the upper 30's. Yipee! What a difference above 0 is! I was so thankful that the truck started after working the evening shift when it was -16 degrees. And the next day, -22.
I finally felt like taking a walk outside with the dogs. They were ecstatic, and the sun felt so good on my face, as we strolled through the neighborhood.
Last week, there was a lunar total eclipse.
You could see the orange color around 9:50pm on Thursday, and then see it get very dark as the shadow of the earth passed over the moon. An amazing site to see. This site won't occur again until 2010.
Thursday night, Dad and I went to hear a speaker talk about immigration. She gave us a true and false quiz on myths, and truths about illegal immigrants. She was very interesting, and gave me a new insight into the whole immigration process, and what it takes to get a legal status in this country. I'm convinced the laws and process for legal status must be revised, or changed. I also believe someone who commits a criminal act while in this country should be deported back to their original country, and not be allowed to stay here.

Then , Friday, my beautiful twin granddaughters turned from little girls, to young ladies, and started their teenage years. I celebrate their youth, and the exciting years ahead, the struggles to find their way in this world, their values, their goals, their friends. I want them to know how much I care about them, and love them, and wish they could be closer to us. I'm glad Mom will keep us informed of their days, and what they're involved in.
For Lent, I, too, am trying to initiate changes. I have set aside time each day to read scripture, and meditations, and spend quiet time with the Lord. I also am studying the bible, and deepening my faith. I have not always put God first in my life. When I was younger, the family came first, but I now realize, as much as the family is of utmost importance in my life, God should be the number one. He created me, made me in his likeness, and wants me to be with him forever. I must strive to keep Him always with me in all I do. As the book I'm reading now states: "Real life-the real life of joy we are meant to be living-begins when we restore a sense of reverence to our daily affairs. Today, search for the Sacred in the ordinary with gratitude in your heart, and you will surely find it."
And finally, there is my precious little Luci, changing weekly, as she grows, and sees her world with mama, and daddy.
Change:
If you would attain to what you are not yet, you must always be displeased by what you are. For where you are pleased with yourself there you have remained. Keep adding, keep walking, keep advancing. ~Saint Augustine

2 comments:

Chris said...

Thank you, Mom, for that inspiration. Your words really touched me and what we are going through right now. I guess, if anyone knows what it's like to leave everything you know and love to explore a new beginning and new life, it would be you. Love you!

My Lifesong said...

Glad it helped, Chris. I'm not saying it will be easy, but I know you'll get through it, and look back and know it was meant to be.