Thursday, November 8, 2007

Who am I?

I always enjoy going to workshops...there's always something new to learn, or see a different way of doing things, to re-evaluate what you are or aren't doing now in your profession. I got a better understanding of children's allergies, as I listened to a registered dietician explain breast milk vs. all the different formulas, and now realize more why all the concern about Mara's journey of food reactions. Also, we explored fetal loss, and how to assist parents through this sorrowful process, and make meaningful memories of their baby to keep forever. I listened to a very interesting talk about cultural diversity in Maternal-child care, and how we need to plan, and provide culturally competent care that is acceptable to the patient, family, and/or community. It's not necessarily about agreeing with our patient's practices, but coming to an understanding, and building relationships with them of mutual respect.
The first day was centered on Maternal concerns, and the second day, on fetal and newborn issues. Our last talk was titled"Stress: The Spice of Life or Kiss of Death". Our speaker was Richard Obershaw, MSW, LICSW. He had us laughing hysterically, and bringing us up to sobering statements, about how stress can be a great thing, but if used negatively, can affect our physical and spiritual beings. He gave us a test to fill out, called "Drivers Analysis". We were to make 2 choices about how we felt to statements on : Philosophy, Activities, Communication, Decisions, Motto, and Convictions. Then on the back of the paper, we placed our numbers in the correct column, and added these up. TO BE OK I THINK I MUST......be perfect, be strong, hurry up, try hard, be pleasing. I thought about my results all the way home. I scored the highest in "be pleasing, followed by try hard". It opened my eyes about my life, and personality, and honestly, gave us insights into me. I've always been a people pleaser...be good to please my parents, and make them proud of me, enter a profession of caring for people, marrying a spouse, who was "wounded" by his upbringing, who if I loved enough, would, in turn, love me back. He used the analogy of filling a pail to overflowing, but the reality is there is a hole in the bucket, and it continually is leaking. I think for awhile, that was true of my life, but I know that bucket has been plugged, and I receive an overabundance of love now. As a peace keeper, I do get hurt, when I can't please others, but I've learned long ago, that I can't please everyone, no matter what I do. He said if you got a high score in this area, you would be very disappointed with your life if you continued to please everyone. I thought about that as I drove home, and realized that God is the one I need to please, and if caring for others, by my words, actions, and behavior reflects God in me, then I'm on the right path for my life....So THERE!

5 comments:

Peace is every step said...

We sure are lucky to be able to attend conferences every once in awhile, aren't we? It's good when you have one that allows some personal reflection. I hope you had a chance to reflect on what is pleasing to you as an individual too...I know us people pleasers can forget about the importance of that in our lives. Especially in a healing profession, it is pretty darn essential.

My Lifesong said...

I'm learning more and more what pleases me as my life unfolds. It's taken awhile to find it.

Julie B said...

sounds like a great conference! I love those "look inside yourself and see what you find" talks-they really make you think. It sounds like you had lots to think about!

Chris said...

I see myself in you quite a bit, Mom. I know that I've given my whole life to please the ones that I love--and I've had so much reward from it; but now that I have so much time to think about what 'I' would like to do with my life, it scares me, because I have NO idea what I would like to do! I've struggled with this ever since Mitch went to all day school. It's just going to take me a while, I think.

The Spirit said...

I don't know if I got this figured out or not...am I the bucket or the leak?
Anyway, I love this entry. I know we've had our struggles but now I can say that I am at peace.(thanks to your example) and I love you so much!