Wednesday, November 7, 2007

On my way to....

I attended a 2 day workshop on Maternal-Child Nursing in St. Cloud on Monday and Tuesday. I was up, packed, and out the door in plenty of time to register, and have breakfast before the talks begin. My car had other plans.
Just outside of Richmond, as I was accelerating to the 65/mi. speed limit, there was a truck beside me in the left lane that just would not pass me. As I was mumbling to myself, and getting irritated with him, for not passing me, I looked over at him(which turned out to be a her), and noticed she was trying to get my attention by pointing down at my car, and mouthing something. This was my first encounter with my guardian angel. It then occurred to me, something was wrong with this picture(car), and so I pulled over to the side of the road. I opened my door, and looked out at the back tire, since this is what she seemed to be pointing at, and sure enough, it was more than half flat. I have a confession...just before that, I noticed the "low tire" light come on, but that had happened last week, and just 2 days ago, we had an oil change, and tire check done then. So, I mentally was thinking I'd probably would have to put some air in the tires when I got to St. Cloud. OK, so here I'm outside of Richmond, no gas stations in site, and I don't want to change the tire there, and I'm not going to just sit there. I decided to take the chance I could make it to Cole Spring, where I knew there were gas stations right along the highway. So, slowly I drove on the shoulder, and made it to the light in town, and turned into the holiday station. As I was getting out of my car, I encountered my angel for the second time, who came up to me, and said "it looks like you need some air in that tire". Yes, I said, do you know where I can get air? He says, yes right around the corner. But wait, did he know a tire place nearby, in case just refilling it with air would not be enough? Yes, just right next to the holiday store, and he walked me around the corner, and showed me the place. I thanked him for his kindness, and he said, just tell them Kelly sent you. I, then, drove around to the tire place, walked into the store, was greeted by 4 service men, and a woman receptionist. When I explained my dilemna, one of them said, "give me your keys", and I'll take a look at it. My 3rd angel encounter. Meanwhile, I explained to the woman where I was heading, and why, and how I probably missed the breakfast, but was grateful to find this place. She, then, handed me a voucher for a free cup of coffed @ the holiday store, and she said, maybe this will help..angel #4. So while I got my coffee, they plugged up the hole from a nail, and said I should be OK to make it to St. Cloud and back home to the cost of $8.00. What a nice bunch, and they were playing christian music in the background...nice touch. I made it to the conference with 5"to spare, green lights all the way, no breakfast, but I got my coffee. My guardian angel were with me, and I couldn't have started the day any better.

2 comments:

Lorrie said...

What a stressful event! But luckily you had help and everything worked out! I couldn't help but laugh a little (:

Julie B said...

what a morning! Glad you made it to your conference, the breakfasts aren't usually the best at those things anyways :)
Nice that you had so many people around to help you! I think if it happened to me down here.....things would have been very different :)