Friday, August 22, 2008

Our trip to Out West and Spokane

What a week, and what a trip! We drove two days out to Spokane, and wouldn't have it any other way. The 1200+ miles was worth it, to see all the beautiful scenery up north, and west. It was our first time this far west, and honestly, I wasn't looking forward to driving so long, esp. after our two day drive out east. But as we got to the Badlands in North Dakota, the wheat and sunflower fields in eastern Montana, the mountain views in western Montana, and Idaho, and the crystal clear lakes, I couldn't get enough pictures.We heard it was going to be in the 90's that weekend. I thought, Oh great, as I thought about our dress attire for the wedding-Earl, in a tux, and me in a long sleeveless gown with a 3/4 sleeve jacket. But it wouldn't be that bad, as surely the church would be air-conditioned, and the rehearsal dinner @ Maja's parents had air-conditioning.
I made reservations for hotels on the way, while we were in Spokane, and on our way home. All in all, they were good choices, esp. where we stayed in Spokane.
So, Saturday, before the rehearsal, and dinner following for my son, Adam's wedding, we were invited to the community pool near Maja's parents. Yes, it was hot o
ut, and the pool was refreshing, though not everyone got in. Too bad! Adam relaxed some, too.
Then , the rehearsal was @ the university building upstairs, three flights, in the chapel, as there was a wedding taking place @ the church. No air-conditioning! upper 90's!
Afterwards, we were invited to Maja's parents, Priscilla and David, for lasagna, salad, garlic bread, cheese, grapes, and pie/ice cream. Again, no air-conditioning! They were re-modeling their house, and the air-conditioner went up. Who could have guessed it would have been that warm this weekend? But we all survived the heat, and had a good time. They were so warm(no pun intended), and welcomed us all. I really felt comfortable with all of them.
We relaxed in the hotel pool the next day in the morning, before the wedding which was scheduled @ 3pm. We were asked to be there @ 1pm for pictures. And believe it or not, it was 107 degrees that day, and not air-conditioning in the church, or in the room that was used to get ready. I sweated in places I didn't know I could. But what can you do about it. We were all going through so many emotions, seeing our baby, and only son, getting married.
As we waited in church, for the Mass t0 begin, my batteries went dead, and I couldn't take any more pictures. I could just kick myself for not being prepared with extra batteries. So I have to depend on my daughters getting some good photos of the couple, and pics of the reception.
More about that later.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Mom--you forgetting batteries for your camera????? How odd....;) We got you covered in the picture department. I love all your pictures. It was such a great weekend, wasn't it?