Saturday, January 1, 2011

August and end of Summer, 2010

I start this blog on a very sad, and tragic note.  On Aug. 6th, my brother, Tom, died of a massive heart attack.
He was the oldest of my four brothers, and ten years younger than me.  Two years prior, he had a heart attack, and was hospitalized for it, but walked out of the hospital before they could tests to determine how extensive it was.  He refused to go back for any check-ups, and had been experiencing symptoms of chest pain, and numbness down his left arm for weeks before the attack.  What was so tragic is that his son, Kyle, was with him in his garage when he collapsed.  Kyle is 16.  It is a memory he will always keep with him.  Tom and his ex-wife Cindy, are divorced, and since May, Tom has been awarded custody of his children, Kyle, and Becky-10.  The question was, who would take the children now?  Cindy has some mental issues, and an unhealthy life-style for the children.  Tom had been in court numerous times with Cindy over the children, and their care.  My sister, Sandie, had recently been helping Tom with court appearances, and such, and after talking it over with her husband, Jim, decided to take them in, and apply for temporary custody of them.
So, a week later, Earl and I drove out to Maryland, where my brother, and siblings live, to attend his funeral.  We stayed @ my sis, Sandie's home.  We, along with my other three sisters, Barb, Ellen, and Deb, organized photos of Tom on pegboards, and Sandie and I agreed to speak about him @ the service.  Besides the talk, I sang a song for him accopella.  My nieces's husband also sang a song on his guitar.  My heart swelled with all the people who crowded in to the funeral home for the service.  Itt was nice for Kyle and Becky too, to see all his friends there.  His remains were cremated, and his older son, Justin, took them.
That Sunday, Kyle turned 1, so Sandie had all the family over to celebrate it. 







Before we left for home, my brother, Jim and Linda, had the family over for crabs.  Earl was in his glory!




Brother, Mark and Mary    Sister, Ellen     Nephew, Sean
Granddaughter, Rose               Sister, Deb

No comments: