Thursday, September 27, 2007

Busy Boy

I got to babysit my youngest grandchild yesterday. He is growing so fast, 15 mons. already. He's always so shy, and leary of seeing me, at first, as we don't connect every day, and likes to give me the impression he's afraid of me, and doesn't know who I am. That's OK, as I know that after his initial whining, and clinging to Mama, he gets down, and runs to his toys. Then he gives you this "good morning" smile. All is well from then on. He sees me drinking my coffee, and puts his hands up. "Are you thirsy, little man?" He runs to one of the lower cabinets, and pulls out his sippy cup, and hands it to me. After having his fill of juice, he goes back to the cupboard, and starts pulling out all the plastic cups, and starts pulling them apart. Then he picks up each one and starts putting them together one at a time. He concentrates so hard, and he repeats this over and over, as if he's doing it for the first time. I sit and watch, sometimes helping him stack the cups, and he gives me this brillant smile, as if to say, isn't this fun? I'm reminded about two little girls of my own, Shar & Chris. They loved to get into cupboards, banging pots and pans together, so I finally put all my Tupperware and plastic containers in one cupboard just so they could take them all out and play with them. Then he's off to another room, opening drawers, pulling pillows off the couch, aall the time, laughing. Such happiness in such simple things, but he is learning about his world as he goes. Such joy for me to watch him.

5 comments:

Lorrie said...

Aww, that is so sweet! I, too find joy in everything he does... I can just see his little brain growing and learning (: When I picked him up today, I just watched him stack blocks and was amazed that he could do it so well with such a variety of block sizes! He was so gentle and careful-Chrissy has he been doing that for awhile? What a fun age, and he plays hard to get sometimes but always warms up (:

Chris said...

We try to take out different tubs of toys every day. That day was the blocks. The other day, it was the trains. He loved to watch me put all the trains together, then he would pull them; then, when they would come apart, he would have me put them together again. Soon, he was doing it by himself. I LOVE watching this little guy every day. Did I take such joy in watching my own at this age, or was I too busy then? So sad to think how fast it goes....

Lorrie--he has been doing that for a while, with the blocks. I was shocked how good he did it the first time. He's not supposed to do that until preschool. He's a 'genus' that boy. :)

Lorrie said...

I was thinking the same thing (:
Time to get out all my variety of blocks!

The Spirit said...

Of course he's a genius...he not only looks like grandpa He has his "smarts" as well.

I can relate to his playing hard to get.:)

Julie B said...

such a sweet story! Even sweeter that it comes from Grandma :)-